Member of the Paris and Brussels Bars
Jean-Luc is the managing partner of the Firm. He obtained an LL.M from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and worked as a foreign associate in the New York- based law firm Sullivan & Cromwell in the early 1980’s before getting back to France and developing the international practice of the Firm.
Jean-Luc has over 30 years’ experience in providing guidance and counseling to French and foreign listed and unlisted corporate clients operating in a wide range of sectors with respect to their operations and business dealings in France and Europe. His practice covers M&As and international corporate transactions, international contracts, competition & antitrust law as well as international litigation and arbitration. He also provides legal advice to associations, foundations and endowment funds.
Jean-Luc Soulier served as Director of the World Law Group and President of the World Law Group Marketing Committee from 2003 to 2005 and acts as ICC arbitrator since 2003. He is a member of several professional associations and the author, co-author or co-editor of numerous national and international publications.
Selected Operation Summary
- Acted as lead counsel, for the French part of the transaction, in connection with the sale by a global oil company of an entire division pursuant to a LMBO (credit line of USD 820 million)
- Assisted the world’s premier electronics contract manufacturer in connection with the acquisition of a manufacturing unit in France; supervised the subsequent downsizing of the activities on site, structured and implemented a collective lay-off plan for more than 300 employees
- Acted as lead counsel, for the French part of the transaction, in the acquisition of a European business enabler by the global leader of domain name registration and protection
- Advised the owners of the world’s leading manufacturer of texturing machines in connection with the sale of their shares to a Swiss group
- Represented a consortium of major electricity companies in negotiating and preparing construction agreements for the completion of a nuclear power plant in Slovakia
- Assisted a US company in connection with the negotiation of a licence agreement pertaining to the installation of a mobile telephony network in France
- Defended the interests of the world’s leading chemical company in a high profile public health case before criminal and administrative courts
- Assisted the leading producer of pay-TV channels in France in connection with the negotiation of exclusive TV broadcast rights for the matches of the French Soccer Premier League
- Performed a competition due diligence investigation of fifteen French subsidiaries of an international industrial group involved in a cartel trial in the USA
- Represented clients operating in a wide range of industries in complex arbitration procedures worldwide, including before the ICC and the Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Sullivan & Cromwell, New York, 1980 – 1981
- International Business Acquisitions Handbook, 4th edition, Kluwer Law International, 2014 (to be published)
- International Business Acquisitions: Major Legal Issues and Due Diligence, 4th edition, Kluwer Law International, 2014 (to be published)
- WLG Merger Control Basics 2010, World Law Group Ltd., 2010
- International Securities Law Handbook 3rd Edition, Kluwer Law, co-editor, 2009
- Les dangers d’une interprétation subjective du principe de précaution, Usine Nouvelle, April 2009
- Le feuilleton des antennes relais et le glissement progressif du principe de précaution, La Lettre des Juristes d’Affaires, April 2009
- Confidentiality of Communications between Lawyers and their Clients, World Law Group Ltd., 2007
- Comparative International Business Acquisitions (2nd edition), Kluwer Law, 2007.
- International Securities Law Handbook (2nd Edition), co-editor, Kluwer Law International, 2004.
- International Business Acquisitions, Kluwer Law, 1999.
- Euro Handbook, France chapter, World Law Group Ltd., 1999.
- Comparative Environmental Law and Regulation, Oceana Publications, 1997.
- Securities Law in France, International Securities Law Handbook, Graham & Trotman/Martinus Nijohoff, 1995.
- Creating and Structuring International Joint Ventures in France, International Business Lawyer, 1991.
- Guide Juridique et Fiscal de l’exportateur, C.F.C.E., 1987.
- Lecturer, post-graduate degree program Juriste Manager International, EMLYON (one of France’s 4 top business schools), 2009 – 2011
- Former lecturer on International Trade Law and European Competition Law, University Lyon III
- Director of the World Law Group and President of the WLG Marketing Committee, 2003 – 2005
- ICC arbitrator since 2003
- International Bar Association
- American Chamber of Commerce in France
- International Association of Defense Counsels
- Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle
- LES France
- Association Française des Investisseurs en Capital
- LL.M, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1980
- Master of Law, University Lyon III, 1977